This follows a high-level meeting here on Tuesday, at which senior trade union representatives promised their cooperation so that the project could be commissioned as scheduled.
The meeting was convened in the wake of a sub-contractor refusing to yield to demands by unions to accommodate more workers at a casting yard at Cheranallore, after which piling work was disrupted at Kaloor. Similar issues had held up work earlier too.
Minister for Labour Shri. Shibu Baby John told that talks with union leaders were “effective”. Steps would be taken to ensure that there was no disruption of work. It was also decided to evolve a system to quantify productivity at each site.
The Regional Joint Labour Commissioner (RJLC) would assess the quantum of work, as the depth and other specifications for piling differed at each site. Another decision was to enable smooth shuffling of workers among worksites and granting of wages fixed for each site, which contractors (and not subcontractors) must ensure. Moreover, a two-tier system had been evolved to solve disputes, if any. A committee chaired by the Collector, with the RJLC as convener, would strive to solve disputes, failing which a committee comprising Mr. John, Minister for Transport Aryadan Mohammed, KMRL MD Elias George, DMRC officials, and representatives of Central trade unions would strive to bring about a solution. To a question on how labour problems set back metro works by five days, Mr. Mohammed said the contractors and union leaders could easily solve most of the issues.
KMRL MD- Shri. Elias George IAS; DMRC’s Kochi project director Shri. B Sriram; CPI(M) district secretary Shri. Dinesh Mani; CITU president Anathalavattom Anandan; district president of the CITU construction workers union K.V. Manoj; CITU district secretary K.N. Gopinath; and INTUC leaders R. Chandrasekharan and K.P. Haridas were among those who attended the meeting.