Since February 2015, Kochi Metro Rail Limited is having a trustful technical partnership with SYTRAL, the Unified Transport Authority of the City of Lyon. CODATU acts as a co-ordinator in this partnership. The partnership started as a part of technical assistance from AFD, between the beneficiary city, Kochi and the city of Lyon in France, with the co-ordination of CODATU, a French non-profit organisation for the development of transportation in urban and sub-urban areas. SYTRAL have assisted KMRL in various fields including Urban Transport, assisting for forming the Metropolitan Transport Authority, and Operations & Maintenance.
SYTRAL in co-ordination with CODATU is now conducting its 8th and concluding workshop at KMRL. It will be a three-day workshop focusing on different topics on each day. The main topics discussed in this workshop are Intelligent Transport System, Open data and reduction of CO2 emission, a medium capacity public transport network for Kochi and Technical Cooperation to Mobilise Your City.
Ms. Annie Guillemot, Senator, President of SYTRAL attended the workshop and the press meet as well. As the partnership ends on 1st July 2017, several delegates from CODATU & SYTRAL will be attending the concluding workshop. Elias George, Managing Director of KMRL will also be attending the workshop along with other metro officials. Mr. Antoine Buge, Project Coordinator represented AFD, Delhi for the partnership program. On the press meet conducted on 15th March, Ms. Annie Guillemot, Senator, President of SYTRAL mentioned that the better life of citizens is what the most important thing and we should share this idea of pre-occupation system with other cities of India as well.
The benefits that KMRL has attained through this partnership are:
- Organised Participatory workshop on roles and responsibilities of Metropolitan Transport Authority, Integrated Public Transport network, Intelligent Transport System, Mobility Hubs, and Alternate Mass Rapid Transit System, etc.
- Visits to Lyon – 3 Teams have visited during the year 2015-2016.
- Review of CMP (Comprehensive Mobility Plan) for Greater Kochi. Technical assistance in Integrated Public Transport & Non-Motorised Transport studies being undertaken by KMRL.
- Conceptual plans for Pedestrianisation Projects at Panampilly Nagar, Aluva-Pulinchodu and M.G. Road.
- Conceptual plans for Junction Improvement Projects at Aluva, Edappally & Vyttila.
- Conceptual plan for Phase-2 development of Vyttila Mobility Hub.
- Assistance for ‘Green Transport Kalamassery, a Non-Motorised Transport (NMT) initiative for the educational/ institutional hub at Kalamassery.
- Pre-feasibility study on Alternate Mass Rapid Transit Systems (MRTS) for Greater Kochi.
- Assistance in framing of Integrated Urban Transport Policy for Kochi.
- Assistance in organising “Theruvulsavam”, the Kochi version of ‘Raahgiri’.
- Assistance in finalising an Operations & Maintenance strategy for Kochi Metro.